What is the problem?
The problem is related to the piston rings. A small amounts of oil leaks into cylinders where it burns and leads to high oil consumption. The problem gets progressively worse as grooves in the bores are getting bigger and cause more and more oil to leak around the pistons (usually after 50k – 80k km). According to the Audi specification for the 2.0 engines 0.5 litre oil can be consumed every 1000 km.
What engines are affected?
Most of 2.0 and 1.8 TFSI engines (engine codes CAEB, CDNC and CNDC) built prior to 2012 are affected.
Is my engine affected?
If you want to know, whether the engine of your car consumes to much oil you can perform a simple test.
- Top up your oil.
- Reset your odometer.
- Drive until ‘oil level too low’ message comes up.
If you have driven less than 4000 km, then your engine consumes too much oil. However, Audi will not acknowledge it until it gets bellow 2000 km. Furthermore, if you want Audi to do any corrective work you need to have an official consumption test done by an official Audi dealer.
What options do I have?
- You can ignore it and just keep refilling the engine oil until the engine dies.
- You can get it repaired
- Within the guarantee period (no costs) at your Audi dealership, but following requirements must be met
- Full Audi Service History
- The engine has not been modified in any way.
- After the guarantee period at Autohaus Dietler
- Replace pistons, piston rings and con rods, provided the bores are not damaged. The costs are between $12,000 and $15,500.
- In case the bores are damaged the only solution is to replace the engine with a new or good quality used engine. The typical costs including labour and all liquids are up to $22,000 for a new engine. The costs for a used engine including labour and all liquids starting from $12,000.
What ever your decide to do we will be happy to assist you.
New improved piston ring
How can Autohaus Dietler assist you?
No matter what option you decide on, whether it is engine reconditioning or engine replacement, you can be assured that the repairs will progress without any hassle for you.
- We will conduct engine reconditioning to the extent it really needs according to manufacturer’s guidelines, including diagnostics and extensive testing.
- In case you decide to have the engine replaced
- We will source and recondition a good quality used engine to replace all worn parts, or we will source a new engine.
- We will conduct all repairs according to the manufacturer’s guidelines, including diagnostics and extensive testing
- We will assist you with your Extended Car Warranty Insurance to keep the repair costs as low as possible for you.